5 Reasons Why Alone Time Is Essential
“Time alone is as essential as breathing. Time to check in with ourselves, to sit in the core of who we are and uncover what’s really going on in there. If our cells are repaired while we sleep, then our heart is renewed in the quiet of the alone. And it’s there in the stillness that we truly get to know ourselves, learning how to live with genuine curiosity and desire, rather than need and avoidance.” – Susannah Conway.
The first time I really understood how much I needed alone time was in high school. It was school holidays and I had spent a few days hopping around between my friend’s houses, bag full of enough clothes to last me indefinitely. It was early evening and I was hungover and tired. This was the first time I’d grown sick of being in the company of others and all I wanted was hangout by myself. I called my dad to come and pick me up, went home and shut myself away in my room with a movie (How Stella Got Her Groove Back) and a whole satay chicken pizza to myself.
These days, I am nowhere near my best self unless I have sufficient time by myself. This is the reason why I love doing enemas so much (perfect excuse to lock yourself in the bathroom with a good book for 30 minutes) and why my favourite thing to do is hop into bed with a cup of tea, a healthy dessert, and something trashy on the telly.
I’m an introvert by nature and I’m an only child, so not only do I require regular alone time in order to save my sanity, I am also really good at entertaining myself. I’ve had to do it my whole life. Even if you are an extrovert with many siblings, alone time is crucial for your health. Here’s why:
1. It feeds self love. Quality time by yourself is the foundation for a healthy relationship with yourself. Alone time allows you to get to know yourself better, to get a real understanding of who are as a person, discover your authentic self, and fall in love with it.
2. It promotes healthy independence. The more time you spend in your own company, the less reliant you are on other people to entertain you, make you happy, to affirm you, or do things for you.
3. It’s rejuvenation for your soul. You know that quiet voice you have inside you? The one that you can only hear when you are silent, still, and peaceful? That is your soul, it is crying out to be nurtured. Thing is, it can only be nurtured when you give it your full, undivided attention. Do this regularly, and it will reward you immensely by creating magic from the inside out.
4. It clears space for perspective and intuition. Sure, it’s great to have advice and opinions from other people when you’re working through challenges. However, all of the answers you will ever need are living inside of you. That little voice we spoke about in point number 3 is incredibly wise – and its wisdom grows stronger the more you listen to it. Silence, stillness, and time spent alone with your thoughts (and perhaps a pad and pen to get your thoughts out of your head) is one of the best ways to gain perspective on any issue, and reach a conclusion that serves you best.
5. It allows you to manifest your biggest, brightest dreams. Alone time provides the clear canvas you need to daydream and communicate with the universe about what you want to collaborate on for your future.
Do you cherish your alone time? Can you add to the list of benefits?
Positive affirmation for the day: I treat myself to silence and solitude every day.
join the tribe
Join the green mo revolution! Subscribe to get Jess's updates & Green Mo Revolution e-book FREE with over 80 green smoothie recipes!