10 Ways To Create The Perfect Work Day
GUEST POST BY REBECCA DETTMAN.
Workplace stress is a pretty horrible thing. I would go so far as to say torturous. I have known people to faint at work from stress, break out in rashes and develop all sorts of anxious illnesses. I myself have had something akin to a nervous breakdown thanks to one particular psychotic boss – I once even threw up before I had to go to work!
Some useful things I did to protect my power zone (i.e. my desk area) included keeping a calming essential oil blend in my desk drawer (and holding it under my nose to calm down), blue-tacking a protective crystal under my desk, and decorating my workspace with fresh flowers and pictures of tropical island paradises. I also visualised a protective bubble, and glass walls, around my work station. A friend of mine hung a bunch of sage above her door to ward off her office witch (i.e. her boss!)
When things really got too much, I sometimes I would go into a toilet cubicle, lock the door, and meditate for a couple of minutes before re-emerging. It’s also a nice idea to set your intentions for the day by visualising exactly how you’d like your day to flow while still lying in bed in the morning. Tell yourself you’re going to have a fantastic, productive day, that you’re surrounded by positive people who help you, and that you feel content and relaxed. Showering by candlelight when you come home is a nice way to imagine all the day’s ‘dirt’ washing off you and disappearing forever down the drain!
Of course, if you’re really unhappy at work, it could be because you’re not doing something your heart is passionate about. A bit of gentle meditation on the topic should help you re-remember all the things you were good at, and interested in, when you were younger – the courage comes in making the jump, or the switch, to a whole new career or lifestyle. But it is so worth it!
Here’s 10 Zen Habits to further help you create a peaceful, relaxed workday:
1. Do Less. Learn to reduce the amount you do — perhaps you could choose three important things to achieve each day, the ones that will have the most impact on your life.
2. Start the day with a relaxing shower or bath. This will get you in a relaxed mood, which is much better than starting the day stressed out.
3. Get in some morning exercise. It will relax you, and gives you a sense of wellbeing and accomplishment.
4. Create a clutter-free environment. Clutter-free surroundings create a peaceful working environment.
5. Turn off the distractions. This includes phones, email notification, instant messaging, anything that will break into your focus.
6. Take breaks and stretch. Get up, stretch, massage your shoulders, neck and head; it will keep you relaxed throughout the day.
7. Roll with the punches. There will always be things that go wrong. When things get overwhelming, take a step back to get some perspective.
8. Work when it’s quiet. This may be early in the morning, during your office lunch hour, or late at night — choose whatever works for you so that you can get some solid work in without distractions.
9. Cut back on your commitments. Choose four to five things that are absolutely essential, and then eliminate the rest over time.
10. Focus on the present. Rather than worrying about what you have to do in the future, or reliving things that happened in the past, focus on what you’re doing right now.
Are there any particular practices you do to inject some “Zen” into your work day? Share your thoughts below!
Positive affirmation for the day: My internal environment stays peaceful and calm through whatever is going on in my external environment.
join the tribe
Join the green mo revolution! Subscribe to get Jess's updates & Green Mo Revolution e-book FREE with over 80 green smoothie recipes!