10 Healing Teas
There’s nothing quite as comforting as a cup of herbal tea. It warms the insides, and promotes an instant feeling of calm and wellbeing. By far my favourite part of the day is steeping some herb variety in my teapot and sitting on my daybed to read a book, check my favourite blogs, or just stare out at the gorgeous green view. If all of that wasn’t beneficial enough – herbal teas also carry with them a whole host of health benefits. Here are some of my favourites.
1. Dandelion and chicory root: Dandelion roots act as a blood purifier that helps both kidneys and the liver to remove impurities. It is also high in potassium and helps to improve appetite and digestion. Chicory is a bitter digestive tonic that increases bile flow and decreases inflammation. It also supports the action of the stomach and liver and cleanses the urinary tract. More on this tea here.
2. Peppermint: Improves digestion, eases nausea and vomiting, reduces heart burn, dissolves gallstones, fights bad breath, relieves stress, and acts as a pain reliever. I make my own peppermint tea using fresh herbs from the garden. It’s so fresh and super easy to grow!
3. Pau D’arco: Great for eliminating candida, purifying the blood, strengthening the immune system, protecting the liver, and beneficial while healing cancer.
4. Soursop: A potent healer, soursop tea (made from the leaves of the soursop tree) is very beneficial to those healing from cancer. It purifies the blood, aids detoxification, promotes clear skin, is high in vitamin C, contains rich amounts of antioxidants to fight free radical damage, is great for the liver, and improves digestive health.
5. Ginger: Relieves nausea, combats motion sickness, helps digestive processes, combats inflammation, reduces dizziness, limits flatulence, controls chronic pain, eases the pain of muscle aches and rheumatoid arthritis, minimises symptoms of the common cold, allergies, and other respiratory conditions.
6. Valerian: Is great for promoting deeper sleep and helps treat chronic insomnia and sleeplessness, soothes and sedates the nervous system, helps calm hysteria and restlessness, alleviates menstrual problems, soothes the digestive system, help lower the blood pressure, may inhibit the growth of tumours.
7. Rooibos: Rich in mineral content, promoting healthy skin, teeth and bones. High in antioxidants, and is great longevity.
8. Rosehip: One of the best plant sources of vitamin C, which is important for the immune system, skin and tissue health and adrenal function.
9. Cleavers: Awesome for stimulating the lymphatic system (it’s traditionally used to treat lymph cancers), treating urinary tract infections, treating jaundice, purifying the blood, and healing wounds.
10. Little China Teas: Made from medicinal organic Chinese herbs, these teas really are healing teas. I was sent some to try out, and was so impressed by the blends. My favourites are the Longevity Tonic, made with Ju Hua (chrysanthemum flower), Huang Qi – Astragalus, Dang Shen, Zi Su Ye – (purple perilla leaf), Sheng Jiang (ginger), Bo He – (field mint); and the Up-Lift, made with Goji (wolfberry), gou qi zi, ginseng, dang shen, perilla (zi su) and Bo He (Chinese field mint).
What is your favourite herbal tea?
Positive affirmation for the day: I have limitless strength and determination.
join the tribe
Join the green mo revolution! Subscribe to get Jess's updates & Green Mo Revolution e-book FREE with over 80 green smoothie recipes!