The word “superfood” is thrown around so much that when you read it in mainstream media, it kind of lacks credibility. However, there are a few special foods that have genuinely earned this title, and spirulina is one of them. In fact, spirulina has even been dubbed the most nutritious food known.
Spirulina is a edible blue-green algae that boasts a super impressive nutritional profile. Before I start rattling off all of it’s stats, I just want to say that I have personally experienced the wonderful benefits of taking spirulina. I add it to my green juices and smoothies, and I can really feel the difference in my body. When I take it daily, I have more energy, my thinking in clearer and I seem to adopt a better mood.
Six reasons to take spirulina daily
1. It’s probably the best source of vegan protein. Spirulina is about 60% complete protein. Compare this to beef or chicken, which have approximately 25% protein each. ‘Complete’ protein means that it contains all eight of the essential amino acids that our bodies require to thrive. It has 10 other non-essential amino acids that play important supporting roles in good health.
2. Spirulina is rich in essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6 & 9). Especially omega 3, which plays a key role in preventing heart disease, lowering bad cholesterol, reducing the severity of arthritis, osteoporosis, depression and diabetes and much more. Fish is often touted for its omega content, but what is overlooked is the fact that fish get their omegas from algae such as spirulina.
3. Spirulina is the highest known source of vitamin B12. It has approximately 3 mcg for every gram. Vitamin B12 is essential for the metabolism of every cell of the body, the production of red blood cells and the development of healthy nerve tissue.
4. It’s the highest known source of beta-carotene. Beta- carotene is a powerful antioxidant that our bodies convert into vitamin A. Vitamin A is important for healthy teeth, skeletal and soft tissue, mucous membranes, skin and eyes. High doses of vitamin A are toxic, but there is no known toxicity associated with beta-carotene when taken in whole food form.
5. Spirulina provides minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, iodine, magnesium, zinc, selenium, copper, chromium, and potassium. It is enriched with important phytonutrients such as gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), chlorophyll, c-phycocyanin and other carotenoids including the powerful antioxidant zeaxanthin.
6. It’s easily absorbed by our bodies. Spirulina is a microscopic form of life that does not have the tough cell walls that are normally found in plant life. This means that it is extremely easy to digest, making all of its nutritional compounds highly absorbable into the body.
WIN A BOTTLE OF SPIRULINA!! (Competition closed)
My friends from Hawaiian Pacifica Spirulina are giving away 12 bottles of spirulina plus a copy of the book Nature’s Superfood to 12 lucky readers. If you win, you can choose from either the 100g bottle of powder or 250 tablets.
For your chance to win, all you have to do is answer the question below in the comments section of this post. Winners will be announced in next Thursday’s newsletter, so make sure you’re on the list!
Question: What is a fun and interesting fact about spirulina? (One that isn’t listed above). Hint: If you don’t know, consult Google.
Positive affirmation for the day: Today I will be conscious that there are something things I cannot change, therefore I will change my perception.
Have you bought your copy of The Wellness Warrior Live Well Starter Kit + 10-Day Cleanse? Click here to find out why it’s the best $12 you’ll ever spend.
join the tribe
Join the green mo revolution! Subscribe to get Jess's updates & Green Mo Revolution e-book FREE with over 80 green smoothie recipes!