Simple Living: Spring Clean Your Life
I’m super excited to introduce a brand new Wellness Warrior segment to you today. My good friend Amanda Rootsey, who is a fellow cancer survivor and Australia’s very first Eco-Model, is going to write a monthly Simple Living post for us. There is no one more suited to writing about this than Amanda. After going through cancer, Amanda’s attitude towards life changed dramatically, and now she lives totally off the grid in a solar-powered caravan on top of a mountain. She lives completely in tune with Mother Nature! Everyone, please make her welcome.
Guest post by Amanda Rootsey
Hi everyone, I’m Amanda and I’m delighted to be bringing all of you gorgeous wellness warriors a new segment – Simple Living. I was so excited when Jess asked me to contribute so a big thank you, Jess.
In honour of the beginning of spring here in Australia, I’d like to start this segment off with a big spring clean. As the weather begins to warm up and the days become longer, spring is the perfect time to shed some old habits, de-clutter your home, clear your head and simplify your life.
The thought of spring-cleaning your whole life can seem a little overwhelming, so take things slow. You don’t have to overhaul your whole life in a weekend. I find it’s best to start by selecting a few things that you’d like to change in your life and start ticking some boxes.
Here are some tips to get you started.
Tips to de-clutter the home:
• Start small and go through each room one by one
• Don’t be shy, if you haven’t worn something for years, then bag it up and donate it someone who will wear it
• Be brutal, the more you clear out, the more liberated you will feel
• Keep in mind that your home should be a sanctuary for you to relax, so if you feel stressed the moment you walk in then making these changes is necessary.
Tips to clear your mind:
• Find a way to quiet your mind, whether it be a daily walk, yoga or meditation
• Write. Keeping a journal or notepad next to your bed can help you to get any thoughts out of your head and on to the paper so that you can enjoy a restful sleep.
• Set boundaries for yourself. Girls in particular are so good at saying yes to everything and working our little butts off. Learn to say no, set boundaries and decide what is worth your time, energy and thoughts.
• Relax, man. Try to step back from your thoughts once in a while and take note of whether you are stressing too much. If you are constantly thinking and planning and have a thousand thoughts running through your head all the time, try to give your mind a break and have some fun!
Tips to lighten your heart:
• Forgive. Letting go of a grudge and forgiving someone can lift a huge weight off your shoulders and make you feel lighter. It is not weak, quite the opposite in fact, as it takes strength of character to be the ‘bigger’ person and let go.
• Surround yourself with positive people who make you smile.
• Do something for someone else. Giving your time and energy to others who really need it makes you feel good.
• Leave the past in the past. Try to let go of past situations that bring you anxiety and negative feelings or emotions. Don’t let the past taint your life now and make a conscious decision to live in the present.
• Be grateful. Take a moment to reflect on all the things that you are grateful for in your life. If you can remember to do this at least once a day and fill your heart with gratitude, you will be smiling all day long!
Do you have any other spring cleaning tips for your life?
Author bio: Amanda Rootsey is Australia’s first Eco-Model and co-founder of Vegan Era. After going through cancer, her perspective on life changed a lot and she now lives in a solar-powered caravan on top of a mountain with her boyfriend and little staffy girl, Trudi. She blogs about living simply, natural health, eco-fashion and vegan food at A Modern Girl’s Life.
Positive affirmation for the day: I respect myself and create space in my body, mind and life.
join the tribe
Join the green mo revolution! Subscribe to get Jess's updates & Green Mo Revolution e-book FREE with over 80 green smoothie recipes!