SELFISH for 27 Days
When was the last time you were completely selfish without feeling guilty or ashamed for it? Go on, be honest. If you can’t remember, chances are you’re not alone. We’re just not conditioned to put ourselves first. It’s time to turn that kind of attitude on its head.
My friend Susana Frioni from Deliriously Deep has created a new online community event, bringing all of us together to let our selfish flags fly. Starting on the 27th of September, we are going to commit to spending at least 30 minutes a day for 27 days doing something that nurtures our spirit. This could be yoga, meditation, journalling, or any other form of mental downtime. Oh, and I’ve provided the wellness content, so you can integrate some nutrition love into the self care mix as well. Plus, as you’ll read below, 10% of the profits from this event is going towards helping me set up a wellness charity website.
I’ll now hand you over to Susana to give you the low down of her awesome event …
What is being SELFISH all about?
Being SELFish is about pressing pause from our busy schedules to take better care of ourselves + return back to our centre. It’s about giving ourselves permission to stop + breathe. It’s about turning inward to reground ourselves so we can move forward with clairty + ease. It’s about slowing down so we can reconnect with our true SELF + just be present. It’s about putting our health + happiness first so we have more energy to give to the people we love.
What do we do? or How does it work?
For 27 days, we’re going to carve out 30 minutes of space every day for self care. And for this event, we’re going to be practising yoga as self care. Here’s how:
1) Get on the mat + strike a pose. At home or at a yoga class.
2) Lay in Savasana + soak up the stillness.
3) Sit + meditate.
4) Journal + reflect.
If you have no experience with yoga, you can definitely participate – we’re going to keep it super simple! For those of you who do have some experience, this is an opportunity for you to re-establish a daily routine + deepen your practice.
To help you out during the event you will receive…
1) A SELF CARE RESOURCE KIT filled with inspiration + hot links to websites, books + videos.
2) A WELLNESS WARRIOR SELFISH KIT courtesy of Jess Ainscough The Wellness Warrior.
3) Three *BONUS* SELFish acts for those wanting a little more self care.
2) Interviews + guest posts with Jess Ainscough, Nicola Chatham, Alexis Neely, Amber Krzys, Evangeline Cachinero and many more talking about all things self care, creativity + community.
3) Daily inspirations + online support through a private facebook group.
4) Access to participants blogging about their experience + sharing their stories…including me!!
5) And if you live near Coolum Beach, my yoga classes are for FREE during these 27 days.
Why would you want to participate?
1. Practising yoga as self care helps us come back to our center + access our inner wisdom. It is here we can find the energy + the enthusiasm we need to keep engaging fully in lives + be of service to the world.
3. Short term commitments are a great way of creating positive habits. And with everyone making the same commitment, we can all hold each other accountable + provide support for each other. That way, we won’t be so quick to put off our yoga practice for another day.
4. Community is powerful. Doing anything with a group of people is always more fun + more motivating.
5. Self care is the missing foundation in most people’s lives, and yet it’s the most fundamental. This is an opportunity for us to make self care a priority. And by doing so we’ll helping two very special to me who have been effected by cancer:
After experiencing first hand how financially crippling an illness can be on a family, Jessica Ainscough is making it her mission to help out in whichever way she can. Together with her friend + fellow wellness warrior Lana Purcell, they are creating a charity website aimed at providing support to people who need help on their wellness journey. To help my friends launch this incredible project off the ground, they will receive 10% of the funds from SELFISH FOR 27 DAYS.
Another 10% is going to 11yr old James Norquay. He is my son’s good friend + is currently needing all the support he can after having a brain tumour removed almost 12 months ago. With his putiutary gland damaged, loss of eyesight in his right eye + ongoing chemo treatments, James needs 24/7 care. Part of my own SELFISH FOR 27 DAYS journey is to inspire my own children + show them the power of self care, community + generosity.
Are you going to join us for 27 days of unashamed self care? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Image credit: Mahesh Telkar
Positive affirmation for the day: I deserve to put myself first.
join the tribe
Join the green mo revolution! Subscribe to get Jess's updates & Green Mo Revolution e-book FREE with over 80 green smoothie recipes!