My new best friend the hot water bottlet
While I was holed up in bed sick a couple of weeks ago I made an amazing discovery – the hot water bottle! I realise hot water bottles are not really a new discovery, I mean PMS-ing women have been fans of them for yonks, but I had never really appreciated their brilliance until now. Even when I was trekking the Himalayas a couple of years ago and we had to sleep in the freezingest of freezing conditions, I didn’t bother to get the out hot water bottle my boyfriend made me pack for the trip. It didn’t seem worth it. Man, was I wrong.
For something so simple, the hot water bottle made being stuck in bed all day worth it. Especially when it was so cold outside. It soothed my nauseous stomach, stabalised the chills my body had running and eased my aching muscles. But where it really stepped up to the plate was on my poor chemo-poisoned left arm (yes, three years later and my arm is still struggling from the inundation of toxins).
Here are some reasons to invest in a hot water bottle this winter …
• It will aid in digestion. Place it over your belly area after you’ve had a big meal.
• To combat illness. Use as a warm, soothing companion to help you through flu, chills, and aches.
• To ease menstrual cramps. A hot water bottle on the abdomen brings pain relief and soothing comfort.
• As a bed warmer. A warm hot water bottle placed in your bed makes for a cozy sleep, especially on cold winter nights.
• To ease arthritic pain. A natural, moist heat therapy for arthritic pain relief, especially great for hands.
• To calm children. A warm cuddly companion to provide a calm secure feeling when children are ill or upset.
• To promote deep relaxation and a feeling of nurturing.
• For a travelling companion.
• To calm your pet. Placed under a blanket, a warm hot water bottle soothes puppies in new surroundings. It provides warmth and security and calms them down. I wish I’d known this when we first bought Edie home.
• To encourage restful sleep. To help you sleep after a high-stress day, lie down with a hot water bottle on your stomach, close your eyes and breathe deeply, so the bottle rises and falls. Many people carry a lot of tension there and the weighted heat releases it.
You should be able to pick up a hot water bottle from any pharmacy, supermarket or department store. All you need to do it fill it with boiling water or hot water from the sick and it will stay warm for about two hours.
Anyone else a fan of the hot water bottle?
Positive affirmation for the day: I am gentle with myself today. I can look in the mirror and smile, knowing that I am more than okay just the way I am.
join the tribe
Join the green mo revolution! Subscribe to get Jess's updates & Green Mo Revolution e-book FREE with over 80 green smoothie recipes!